Winter got you down?
Essential Oils are a natural remedy for anxiety and depression, which we all know are very common during the winter. Those who may not normally suffer from these afflictions still may experience the “Winter Blues”, and those who do experience them regularly tend to feel an increase during these months. Gray skies and low temperatures can really affect our mental state, even here in southern California!
Whether you’re using with a diffuser, taking internally, or applying it topically, there are options to calm anxiety, uplift the mind and spirit, and even some that do both! Be sure to combine with regular acupuncture treatments for added benefits.
What oils should you use?
There are more commonly used herbs and oils that most people are familiar with, an example being the ever popular Lavender. Many products meant to relax the body and mind contain this herb in some form, and people often even sleep with pillows that contain lavender flowers. There are other herbs and oils that are commonly used as well, but what many don’t know is the benefit of citrus oils in particular. Citrus fruits have purifying properties, which help to dispel negative thoughts and emotions. Some are more energizing for a clearer head and uplifted mood throughout the day, and some help to ease the mind to calm anxiety and help sleep.
Though many of these oils share similar properties, they all offer something unique which allows the individual to find the right oil or blend for their needs. Here are just a few of the options we recommend!
- Bergamot – The combination of calming and uplifting effects make this oil perfect for anxiety and depression, it clears away negativity for a more overall peaceful state. It can be applied topically, used internally, or diffused. It can also be added to beauty products to purify the skin, or applied with a mixture of fractionated coconut oil to the bottoms of the feet before bed to help relax your body to sleep. Adding a drop to Earl Grey tea in the morning not only adds a delicious flavor, but helps give a more peaceful start to your day.
- Grapefruit – One of the most uplifting of the citrus fruits, it clears and energizes the mind and body. Adding it to your skincare routine can help to reduce the appearance of blemishes, while also providing you with the invigorating effects through inhalation and absorption. Taking internally by adding 1 drop in 4oz of water can actually also help boost metabolism. Please note that you should dilute with fractionated coconut oil if you have sensitive skin and plan on using this oil topically.
- Lemon – Considered one of the most veratile oils, this oil has many different benefits and uses. Lemon is commonly used in cleaning products due to its strong cleansing and purifying properties. It works the same way within body, detoxifying inside and out. Taking internally helps to aid digestion and also supports healthy respiratory function, while diffusing it helps to elevate the mind and bring about a calmer, happier mood.
- Lime – Like Lemon, Lime is a powerful cleansing oil. It can be added to your facial cleanser or shampoo for extra cleaning power, while the scent constantly lifts your mood throughout the day. This one is also great for diffusing, it purifies the air while also filling the space with a cheerful scent that promotes emotional balance. Adding a drop to your water not only tastes good, it boosts immune function for an overall healthier body.
- Melissa (AKA Lemon Balm) – Though not an actual citrus fruit, Melissa is an honorary addition to this list. This leafy plant goes by the nickname Lemon Balm due to the sweet citrus fragrance, and has long been used as a means of calming nervousness and tension. If you’re having trouble sleeping due to anxiety, diffusing this oil at night before bed and while you sleep will help ensure a more restful slumber. You will awaken feeling more rested and balanced emotionally. Mix a few drops with water in a spray bottle for a refreshing boost throughout the day, a light spritz on the face will instantly rejuvenate!
- Tangerine – Tangerine has a long history in Chinese medicine. It has many of the same properties as the other citrus oils, but a slightly sweeter fragrance. It cleanses and purifies, making it ideal for casting away negativity in the mind and body. Diffusing the oil can help sooth an over stressed brain, and is perfect for using in the office. If you aren’t near your diffuser, or want a quicker and stronger dose, you can put a drop in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, cup them over your nose and mouth, and breathe it in for 30 seconds. You can also apply to directly to flex points or the abdomen to promote feelings of happiness. Add 2-3 drops to dessert recipes or drinks for flavor!
- Wild Orange – A sweet, refreshing fragrance that can be used to eliminate negative smells and energies for an overall cleansed space. Added to your drinking water, it promotes a brighter mood and healthy immune system. Diffuse with equal parts Peppermint and Frankincense for an energizing boost, or combine the three in your palms, rub your hands together to warm the oils, and cup over your nose and mouth to breathe in for 30 seconds.
doTERRA also offers a series of blends, which combine different oils for specific purposes. These particular blends consist mostly of citrus oils, but have been mixed with other oils that boost the calming and uplifting effects.
- Citrus Bliss – Just like the name suggests, this blend of citrus oils and vanilla helps to create an overall feeling of bliss. The uplifting properties of the citrus fruits, combined with the sweet and cheerful hint of vanilla, helps to reduce stress and energize the mind and body. Add a drop to your dryer sheets for a constant pick-me-up from your clothes, towels, and linens, or use it around the home to wipe down surfaces. When you’re feeling down or anxious, apply directly to the inner wrists for a quick fix of cheer. Contains: Wild Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Bergamot, Tangerine, Clementine, and Vanilla Absolute.
- Cheer – Like a little bottle of sunshine, Cheer promotes feelings of optimism, happiness, and, you guessed it, cheer! It chases away negative thoughts and emotions with the blend of citrus and spice, and can be used at home, in the office, or even in the classroom to create a positive environment. Contains: Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Star Anise Fruit/Seed, Lemon Myrtle Leaf, Nutmeg Kernel, Vanilla Bean Extract, Ginger Rhizome, Cinnamon Bark, Zdravetz Herb.
- Elevation – Also called the Joyful Blend, Elevation increases vitality and helps to replace negativity with feelings of joy. Diffuse in the morning to start the day with positive energy, and throughout the day for consistent stress management. Rub onto your heart, temples, or wrists for a confidence boost and energized mood. Unwind in the evening by adding a few drops to a hot bath, releasing the weight of the day from your body. Contains: Lavandin, Lavender, Melissa, Ylang Ylang, and Osmanthus with Tangerine, Elemi, Hawaiian Sandalwood, and Lemon Myrtle.
- Peace – Though it is not a citrus blend, this formula is highly recommended for those plagued with anxious and fearful emotions. It quiets the mind in high stress situations, such as public speaking or large crowds. Diffuse during the day to help keep your emotions steady, and at night to ease anxious thoughts as you’re trying to sleep. For those who experience anxiety and fear regularly throughout the day, carrying a small container will come in handy for those moments when you need an instant calm. Dilute with fractionated coconut oil in a roller bottle to apply to the wrists, mix with purified water in a spray bottle to lightly spritz the face, or even apply a few drops to a cotton ball and keep it in a small glass jar to open and inhale. You can also add a drop to your palms, rub together, and cup your hands over your nose and mouth to breathe it in for 30 seconds. Contains: Vetiver Root, Lavender Flower, Ylang Ylang Flower, Frankincense Resin, Clary Sage Flower, Marjoram Leaf, Labdanum Leaf/Stalk, Spearmint Herb.
- Serenity – Another non-citrus blend, Serenity Calming Blend is comprised of oils specifically chosen for their soothing effects and is the most commonly recommended for those who have trouble sleeping. This formula calms emotions and eases tension in the body, allowing you to drift off to a peaceful sleep and awake feeling renewed. Diffuse before and while you sleep, or apply directly to the bottoms of your feet and rub in. Adding a few drops to a hot bath with epsom salts is another great way to get your whole body feeling relaxed and ready for bed. Contains: Lavender, Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, and Ylang Ylang with the warming aromas of Hawaiian Sandalwood and Vanilla Bean
And in honor of Valentine’s Day this month, our featured oil is the Passion Inspiring Blend.
Whether you’re feeling a loss of passion in a romantic relationship, or just in your daily life, this blend of sweet and spicy herbs will help to reawaken feelings of joy and excitement. Diffusing in the morning will help you to feel awake and energized, ready to take on the day. Use it in your office or work space to incite creative thoughts and inspiration, or apply directly to the pulse points or heart. This oil will help to dispel feelings of boredom, and stimulate the mind and body for a renewed interest in life and all it has to offer. It is certain to get the juices flowing! Contains: Fractionated Coconut Oil, Cardamom Seed, Cinnamon Bark, Ginger Rhizome, Clove Bud, Sandalwood Wood, Jasmine Flower, Vanilla Bean, Damiana Leaf. *The Passion Inspiring Blend is a special order, please notify us if you are interested in purchasing.
You can also have fun making your own custom blends, perfectly suited to your personal needs! Lavender and lemon create a beautiful scent that helps calm nerves, while also having an uplifting effect on the emotions. Adding a drop of peppermint to this mixture makes a great evening blend! Diffuse or add to a hot bath and you’ll surely feel yourself unwinding from the day in no time. Mixing Lavender and Bergamot will ease the mind for a more peaceful, worry free sleep. You can diffuse these mixtures or combine with fractionated coconut oil to dab under your nose and on your temples, or rub into the bottoms of your feet. Once you have experimented and know how certain oils affect you, you’ll be able to come up with your own formulas!
We’re always here to answer any questions that you may have about the oils, and are more than happy to help you find the right ones for you! If you’re feeling down, stressed out, or even just feel as though you could use some energizing, be sure to check out our selection on you next visit!
*Disclaimer: Not all essential oils are suitable for internal or topical use. doTERRA’s oils are a higher grade which has been approved for consumption and/or external use, however some oils are only approved for aromatherapy. Please be sure to read all labels carefully before using any essential oils, and research further if necessary.
Avoid exposure to the sun when using citrus oils in skincare. You should dilute any oils with fractionated coconut oil if you have sensitive skin.
Though we do carry most of these oils at HCA, a few may need to be ordered. Please let us know if you are interested.
For more information on doTERRA’s oils and blends, visit their website: